MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Newly updated public-safety data from the Memphis SAFE Task Force shows significant reductions in violent and property crime during the operation’s first six weeks, marking one of the sharpest short-term declines Memphis has reported in several years. The downward trend arrives as several Democratic officials continue to challenge the federal-state deployment in court and publicly question the scope of the initiative.
The latest figures, published on the Memphis SAFE dashboard on Nov. 15 and covering the operational period from Oct. 1 through Nov. 14, include a 32.6 percent year-over-year drop in serious crimes compared with the same stretch in 2024. The decrease spans aggravated assaults, robberies, burglaries and motor vehicle thefts, all of which remain below last year’s levels. Reported calls for service are also down, falling more than 20 percent across all priority categories.
The data reflects an early phase of the task force launched in September under a presidential memorandum signed by President Donald Trump. The operation combines federal, state and local resources, including the U.S. Marshals Service, FBI, ATF, ICE and the Tennessee National Guard, with teams rotating through high-crime corridors identified by local law enforcement. Memphis police officials have said the deployment supplements existing patrols amid long-standing staffing shortages.
During the Oct. 1–Nov. 14 period, the task force reported 2,668 operational arrests, 851 warrant arrests, and 611 firearms recovered. The arrest numbers slightly outpace the 2024 period, while gun seizures are running about 13 percent ahead of last year. Clearance rates for reported crimes have also improved, most notably in October, when investigators closed 23.1 percent of cases — an 8.5-point gain over October 2024.
The National Guard component of the operation remains the center of an ongoing legal challenge brought by Shelby County Mayor Lee Harris and other county officials. The lawsuit, filed Oct. 18 in Davidson County Chancery Court, argues that Gov. Bill Lee exceeded his authority by authorizing the Guard deployment without legislative approval. A request for a temporary restraining order was denied on Oct. 20, allowing the task force to continue operating while the case proceeds. A hearing on the merits is set for early December.
Several Democratic officials in Memphis and Shelby County have continued to criticize the initiative as the legal process moves forward. Harris has said the county’s detention facilities are operating over capacity, warning that the increased volume of arrests strains local resources. Shelby County District Attorney Steve Mulroy has raised similar concerns about court backlogs. City council members, state legislators and local activists have questioned traffic-stop tactics and the degree of local input in the federal-state partnership.
Memphis Mayor Paul Young has not challenged the initiative in court but has expressed reservations about the Guard deployment, emphasizing his preference for locally driven strategies that city officials say contributed to earlier crime declines in 2024 and 2025.
The court ruling expected in December will determine whether the Guard remains part of the operation. Until then, the task force continues to report daily metrics, and the latest figures mark the clearest picture to date of its early impact.
Discover more from TNPOLITICO
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
